Please note that Kayleen is currently on maternity leave. If you require assistance in her absence, please contact Jennifer Thomson at firstname.lastname@example.org
MA, RP, RYT200
- Gender Identity and Sexuality
- Prenatal and Postpartum issues
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy
Individual Session: $130 plus HST
Sessions may be covered under insurance plans. Please contact your insurance provider prior to making an appointment to see if Registered Psychotherapists are covered.
Please review my consent form prior to your first appointment to familiarize yourself with counselling policies. We will sign it together during your first session, where I will answer any questions you may have.
If you have scheduled a video or phone counselling appointment, please sign the consent form and email me a copy or photograph of the form prior to our first appointment.
Do you feel like you’re on the brink of burn out? Do you have troubles acting on the things that are important to you? Have you thought about coming to therapy before, but then life got busy and… you didn’t?
You are not alone in this struggle! With all of life’s worries, it can sometimes be hard to put ourselves first. This can leave us feeling like we lack direction, and are stuck in a cycle of comparisons, leaving us defeated and binging on Netflix and social media to make ourselves feel better. In our work together, I can help empower you to make meaningful changes and reconnect with what’s important in your life.
I am a Registered Psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). I have my Honours Bachelors and Masters Degree in Psychology from Wilfrid Laurier University, and have been in clinical practice for over half a decade. I have extensive experience working with stress, depression, anxiety, and LGBTQ+ issues. I work with a variety of clients from different cultures, religions, gender identities, and sexual orientations. No matter how you identify, I provide a safe space for you to be yourself.
Working as a team, I will help you to bring more mindful awareness to your life and establish concrete goals to bring you closer to the life you want. As a part of this process, we will work through difficult thoughts and feelings to help you work on acceptance instead of avoidance, releasing you from patterns of feeling stuck.
I believe that trust, honesty, and compassion are the keys to a successful therapeutic relationship. I truly value the trust clients place in me to allow me to be a part of their story, sharing with me their inner most thoughts and feelings. I am honest in my therapy approach, and won’t settle for taking the easy way out and telling my clients what I think they want to hear. Empathy is at the core of the work I do – to genuinely care for and respect each and every client, helping them on the road to reaching their full potential.
My main therapeutic approaches include Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT). I tailor the approach I use to the individual I am seeing, and we work as a team to make meaningful changes in their life. I offer in-person therapy in Hamilton, Ontario, phone counselling, and e-counselling through an online video counselling platform.
In addition to my work with clients, I also provide Clinical Supervision to other Registered Psychotherapist (RP’s) or students aspiring to become an RP. Clinical supervision is available in-person at my office or online through the Zoom platform. You can find out more about my clinical supervision services by clicking here.
When I’m not in the therapy room, you can find me on my mat, practicing and teaching yoga. I love how yoga blends together mind, body, and spirit to create such a peaceful state of wellbeing. I also enjoy spending time in the great outdoors with family and friends.
Trainings and Continuing Education:
- Queering Mental Health: A Canadian Perspective, Conference April 2021
- Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for PTSD & Trauma, Beck Institute, Dr. A. Miller, September 2019
- Clinical Supervisor Training, Adler Graduate Professional School, July 2019
- Mindful Yoga In Practice Teacher Training, Steven Ferrell, Jessica Borushok, and Timothy Gordon, March 2018-June 2018 (RYT-200 Hours Certification)
- Crisis Intervention Training, CTRI, November 30, 2017
- ACT Webinars, Season Three, Praxis Continuing Education, August 2017 – November 2017
- Creating Authentic Spaces Training, Rogue Whittker, July 26, 2017
- Foundations of Trauma, Sue Gallagher and Sandy Jardine, September 29-30, 2016
- Working Effectively with First Responders, Dr. Paulette Laidlaw, September 10, 2016
- Introductory & Intermediate Skill-Building Workshop in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Steven C. Hayes, April 11th – 13th 2016
- Essentials of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT), Dalton & Associates, April 26, 2015
Kayleen in the Media
Kayleen was interviewed by Ted Michaels of CHML about how we can protect ourselves from burnout and cope with difficult news events such as the recent Ukraine plane crash. Listen below:
Kayleen was featured in Maclean’s magazine in an article about the ins and outs of walk & talk therapy: